Monday, August 27, 2007

The Man In The Blue Coat


The man in the blue coat sighed, "I am so sad."

"Why are you sad?" asked the man in the blue coat.

"I am sad because I am not sad about anything," said the man in the blue coat. "Everywhere I go, people are sad about what we're doing to the earth and what sort of planet we're going to leave for our children's children's children's children's children's children's children. I try to be sad about this, really I do. But I can't. You see, it doesn't matter to me if my great-great-great-great-great grandchildren may face rising sea levels of two inches."

The man in the blue coat put on his blue coat, "Why doesn't it matter to you?"

"Because I'll never know my great-great-great-great-great grandchildren," said the man in the blue coat. "They could be total assholes for all I know. I mean, look at the youth of today. They're bad enough as it is--I shudder to think what their progeny will be like."

The man in the blue coat put his arm around the man in the blue coat, "These feelings you are feeling are natural. There is no reason to feel ashamed for feeling ashamed for not feeling ashamed. Why I myself am not ashamed for not feeling ashamed. I won't know my great-great-great-great-great grandchildren either. Nor will I live long enough to see the hypothetical successes of these communal efforts to make the entire world--including its oceans--green."

Just then, the woman in the green coat entered the room. "Aha! So YOU'RE the problem!"

The men in the blue coat stood up, "Well, at least we're going to heaven!"

The woman in the green coat did not believe in heaven or any other artifacts of the hegemonic paradigms of chauvenistic patriarchal theologies, so she left the room to write her term paper.

The man in the blue coats realized he was wearing two coats. "No wonder it's so hot in here. And just when I thought the globe was warming."

Kiley Rembrandt, Age 12
Regional Sales Manager,
Blue Earth Foundation

THE BLUE EARTH FOUNDATION IS A NOT-FOR-PROFIT IDEOLOGY BASED IN OBJECTIVE TRUTH